Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I got the GOAT?

Every once in a while I still find my thoughts walking back to The Cocoa Tree on Main Street. I guess I will always be affected by those memories. Tonight, I kept hearing that question over and over - that question that so many people have asked, "do you think moving to Main Street was a mistake?" I haven't had an answer until now.

I have been coming to this conclusion for quite some time, but haven't wanted to share it because I didn't want it to seem that I am prideful or that I haven't learned valuable life lessons through all that happened. Nothing could be farther from the truth!

All that said to say this. I don't believe that judging that decision based on whether it was or is "right" or "wrong" is helpful or necessary. It wasn't a moral choice. It was a choice regarding a direction in life.

I don't believe that God would put a critical decision in my path, not knowing what the outcome will be. I don't believe that He is sitting up in heaven going, "man, I sure hope she gets this one right...there is a lot hanging on this." You know? I don't believe that God is like Monty Hall on Let's Make a Deal (remember that old game show?) standing there showing me two curtains, and I'm supposed to hope the odds are on my side when I choose curtain number one. I can see myself choosing curtain number 2 and when the curtain opens, there is a goat standing there, a goat...but had I chosen curtain number 1, I would have lived a prosperous life full of health and wealth. Darn that choice!! I have to live the rest of my life with a goat!

In Proverbs, it says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." HE will make your paths straight. All we have to do is trust and acknowledge. HE will make my paths straight. When Jesse and I made the choice to move to Main Street we did it before the Lord. We prayed, we sought Him, we listened to those around us - I think that we did the "right" thing in that regard.

Is a decision "wrong" if it doesn't work out the way that the world would approve of? Since we had to leave a year later, does that mean the decision was not "right?" I don't think so. We are better as children of God and as business owners because of everything we went through, which was essentially a crash course in intimacy with the Lord and on the basics of small business ownership.

I am grateful for the experience. I don't wish the choice away. I am glad to know that God wasn't expecting anything different to happen. We ARE living His plan A for our life. He brought us to that decision on Main Street with all of our life experiences, all of our strengths and all of our weaknesses, knowing what decision we would make. He makes our paths straight.

I trust in Him. I will not be afraid to make decisions knowing that God already has it covered. Thank goodness!

After all, I am just a sheep - He is the shepherd.

1 comment:

Megan Hyatt said...

BT, I couldn't agree more. In God's economy, everything, EVERYTHING, belongs. Nothing is wasted. Speaking as someone who was intimately involved in the whole process of the move to Main St, and now with the benefit of a little time between here and there, I agree with you. It wasn't a mistake. It was all part of God's plan to make each of us, and The Cocoa Tree, what HE intends.